Tuesday, November 4, 2014

November 2014

For Our Reflection

Developing A Pattern of Personal Prayer
by Amy Peterson
  • As I went through some articles on blogs about prayer, I happen to see this article on Developing A Pattern of Personal Prayer. I would like like to share this with all of you and hope it will help you to follow some practical steps for our daily use. I have shortened the article and edited.
    Here is Ms. Amy Peterson's seven steps to help us develop our personal prayer.
  • Start the day with prayer

    Starting the day with prayer is essential. The days I forget to do this I feel out of sorts. In fact, if my day’s begun and I haven’t prayed, I find a quiet place to kneel down as soon as I remember, or I simply begin to pray in my head. I’ve learned that having a cue in my routine helps me remember to pray. Right now I pray in the morning as I drive home from the gym, or after I make my bed. Sometimes I choose to pray both times. I also pray with my children before they leave for the day, making sure to ask God to keep them safe and help them make good choices. I feel protection and power when I start my day with prayer.
  • Pray often

    Once prayer becomes a part of your life, you will realize how often prayer can help you throughout your day. I pray for my children if I know they have a test or difficult situation at school. I pray for my husband while he is at work. If I feel frustrated with my young daughter, I pray for help and strength as I attempt to reason with her. When the children fight and I feel my temper rise, I pray for peace and calm. These aren’t long prayers, but short thoughts sent up to heaven. I also try to pray for things I’m thankful for, like the peas coming up in the garden or a good interaction with my son. When tragedy strikes around the world, I know I can pray for those affected and for peace.
  • Pray anywhere

    I’ve already mentioned praying in the car. I also pray in the shower and while I run. My husband and I have taught our children that they can pray anywhere; God is always listening and always ready to help. If you don’t have time or a place to sit or kneel, pray in your head. As you are getting in the habit of prayer, you might want to say the words out loud as you pray. I like to do this occasionally to make sure I am being mindful in my prayers.
  • Be specific

    God is interested in the details of your life. I feel a better connection with him when I express gratitude for specific things in my life, like a a supportive husband and a home that protects me from Oregon rainstorms. I also ask for detailed things; for example, patience in dealing with sibling squabbles or inspiration as I plan activities for a youth camp that I help direct. At the end of each day, it is helpful to take inventory as you pray, noting times you were assisted and ways you would like to improve.
  • Write it down

    Several years ago I lost a much-anticipated pregnancy at 19 weeks. A woman in my neighborhood kindly asked me if she could add my name to her prayer list. I asked her about her list, and she said she wrote down people and things to pray for so she would remember them. I thanked her for adding me to her list. Although my own list is mostly mental, there are times when I use my journal as catalyst for remembering things and people I need to pray for. If you have trouble coming up with things to say during a prayer, writing a few thoughts down could help.
  • Be grateful

    Prayers of thanks, even during rough stages in life, always help me see things more positively. Occasionally, I say prayers of gratitude that only thank God for what he has blessed me with. It’s hard not to ask for things, but praying in this way helps me develop faith and humility.
  • Look for answers

    Prayer is a two-way communication method. If you have questions, expect answers. They might not come in the most direct ways. I find prayer and scripture reading are perfect partners for helping me receive insights about my life. I have also learned to be patient as I pray, knowing answers might not come this week or even this year, and also realizing the answer I want may not be the answer God gives.
    The pattern of personal prayer that I’ve developed in my life has changed me. I feel more capable of understanding others and doing good. Every once in a while my Internet service doesn’t work properly, and I feel disconnected for the day or two I’m offline. Fortunately, my connection to God is always working as long as I am willing to communicate. If you want to increase your faith, feel protected and receive guidance for your own life, make personal prayer a part of each day.


...............................................................................................

Fukushima Ken

Noda Machi Church


We had our monthly Tagalog Mass in Noda Machi last October 5.  After the mass, we conducted the survey in preparation for the program for group. After the mass the leaders ask me if we can have our mass next month earlier since they were planning to have a halloween party.  The party would be a good chance to meet many Filipinos in the area.


Shirakawa Mass

We had our Tagalog Mass in Shirakawa Catholic Church last Oct. 4 first Saturday of the month.  The group had expressed that they have not done the singing during the communion in the Japanese Mass. Before they were ask by Fr. Tanaka. I told them to ask their priest about this activity so that he will also know and will have some continuity.  After the mass, we also conducted the survey and had a simple sharing at the church hall.


...............................................................................................

MIYAGI KEN

Watari Church


We had our International Mass in Watari Church last Oct 5 in Watari Church. We met some new faces among the Filipinos.  The growing number of children is also evident during our international mass. The president of the church council had announced that there will be a gathering for the children this month in Watari church.


Minami San Riku Mass




Fr. Aizu celebrated the Japanese mass with Minami San Riku community. Its been some months since Fr. Aizu returned to the community and joined in the celebration. During this mass, Jenny was also celebrating her birthday. The community had a simple birthday celebration for her.

Sendai Motodera Catholic Church Mass


Its been sometime since I celebrated the English mass with the community and I am very happy to meet the community of Sendai. After the mass, we asked the community for their cooperation in preparation for the coming of Cardinal Tagle of Manila next year here in the diocese. They were all willing to help in the preparation and will coordinate with Fr. Emie for the preparation on the liturgy and a simple welcome party for the Cardinal



...............................................................................................

IWATE KEN

Mizusawa Catholic Church


Fr. Edgar celebrated the mass in Mizusawa Catholic Church last Oct 5.




Ofunato Catholic Church


Prof .  Alec LeMay from Sophia University gave a talk on children's faith education in Ofunato Church last October 12, 2014 in Ofunato Church. The seminar aim at helping the christians understand the importance of the faith education for the children.




...............................................................................................

November is also the month to Remember our loved ones who passed away

We offer prayers to all of them







No comments:

Post a Comment